Thursday 26 May 2016

THE ERA OF THE EXO

Every now and then when I want to speak a little about exoplanets there is always something I want to point out but which I always forgot, or at least I think I have, to mention.

I have been well aware of the fact that they have used the dimming effect of stars as their planets are an in transit in relation to our view of the stars and their planets.

I was watching this video on YouTube about Earth like exoplanets and I wondered whether or not something that keeps occurring to me gets mentioned, either by the scientists or some bright spark in the audience.

I am over 48 minutes into watching this talk and it has not occurred yet.

Checking for the dimming effect is great but it cannot rule out the existence of planets because any start you might be looking at may have its planetary orbits perpendicular, or at 90 degrees, to our view of that star and you cannot change that.

The longer it has taken for me to remember to remark about this fact the longer I have gone and the more minutes watched of some episode or other on exoplanet astronomy that it never gets mentioned.

What is exciting though is the things I am hearing about that I was not aware of. I had always found it ridiculous, even as a child, that we could not image the planets. It was always stated that we would not be able to do that and I thought this statement preposterous.

I have often spoken in discussions that with a strong enough telescope you simply need something top block out the light of the actual star itself. A tiny shade.

I then hear that they were creating something like this recently, albeit not tiny at a shade measuring ... hmm was it 30 or 100 metres across? I think it was 100?

Then is saw another short video on YouTube about them coming up with a smaller way of blocking out the stars light.

I had long known about the James Webb Telescope and it turns out there are other things in the pipeline too?!

That is very cool.

I just hope that my sporadic and unpredictable health issues do not prevent me from being around to witness this?

After all I might come back as a religious nut in my next like that has no appreciation for science and astronomy?

Perish the thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment